Make a housing repair claim today

A housing disrepair claim is a legal process that is enacted by a tenant against a landlord for failure to act on a problem with a property that poses a potential danger to the tenant’s health and safety. Landlords have a legal duty of care to maintain the interior, exterior and structure of any property they rent out. Any issues to the property (faulty heating, leaking roofs, damp and mould or vermin etc.) that is reported by a tenant, should be fixed within a reasonable amount of time.


Tenants can make housing disrepair claims against their landlord if they fail to provide a safe living environment. MJW Law can advise on whether you are entitled to make a housing disrepair claim due to a personal injury sustained through inadequate housing standards. Start your claim process below to see if you have a case.

Call us on 0333 456 6611 or 

£100,000s recovered in compensation


Did you know that housing disrepair is a legal responsibility on your landlord? If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure:

That the house you live in is structurally sound and watertight. That any gas and electrical installations as well as pipework and equipment for hot and cold water, heating,

A housing disrepair claim is a lawsuit involving a tenant taking legal action against their landlord for failing to fix disrepair or damage on the rented property. Your housing makes it hard for you to live in. It could be severe damage or minor repairs, like a broken window or oven not working correctly. Your housing doesn't have to be wrong all over - just some things

Types of Housing Disrepair Claims

We cover a wide range of Housing Disrepair Claims.  The types of claims include the following

  • Damp & Mould

  • Rotting Windows

  • Damaged Brickwork

  • Leaking Roof

  • Faulty Heating

Damage to 



Try our calculator today 
and see how much you could claim

A large proportion of the UK population rent their accommodation from a landlord; however few tenants are fully aware of their rights when it comes to disrepair compensation. Here at MJW Law, we specialise in housing disrepair cases. Our team of experienced solicitors understand how difficult it can be for tenants to take action and make claims against their landlord.


While housing disrepair claims can be difficult, our team of expert solicitors will go above and beyond to get you the compensation you deserve so that you can feel at home once again. And with our no win no fee model, there will be no cost to you until your claim is settled.


Strong Relationships


Total Support


Award Winning


Always in your 


What our clients say

Rebecca Hennessy took over our case and was exceptional. She was very patient, understanding and happy to explain everything to us when we felt overwhelmed with the legal jargon. Would definitely recommend her to help through any legal issues.

Paula Buchan

Very professional, Emily was absolutely amazing,she was with me through the whole process and we got the best outcome possible.they are the best

Adrian Vasilica Davideanu

I had the pleasure of dealing with Alec who was supportive, gave clear and logical advice and helped us through a case that was long and very drawn out. It was Alec that gave us the confidence to see it through to it successful conclusion. Great service.

David Gettins

The Claim Process

Free consultation call

If you believe that your current living situation doesn’t comply with health and safety standards, call us for free on 0333 456 6611 or request a call back. One of our housing disrepair specialists will be in contact to discuss some simple details to build an understanding of your claim and tell you what the next steps in the process are.

Claim evaluation

After we’ve spoken to you and gathered all the information we need from your free consultation, our team will assess the validity of your claim against your landlord. We will collate all relevant evidence to build the best case, this evaluation will help determine what your compensation could be.


Once we have evaluated your claim our housing disrepair solicitors will start the ligation process, pulling your case together and completing the relevant forms. Your dedicated solicitor will keep you informed throughout the process, and you will be able to ask questions at any stage.


Finally, your case will be settled either through the court or an external settlement. Once your case is closed, you’ll receive any compensation you’re owed.

Frequently Asked Questions

What can you claim compensation for?

When renting out properties, landlords can often avoid fixing problems. However, if your rented property falls below a reasonable living standard, it is the landlord’s responsibility for carrying out the repairs otherwise they’ll be liable for a Housing Disrepair Claim. This includes the following problems:

Condensation Damp or Mould
Faulty heating Gas or Water Leaks

Insect or vermin Infestations

Plumbing problems

Structural issues

Please note tenants must inform the landlord of the disrepair before a case can be brought against them.

How can you prove housing disrepair led to an injury?

To win a claim for housing disrepair related personal injury, it’s crucial to prove a direct correlation between the injury and the disrepair. To strengthen your case, you will need to provide as much detailed evidence as possible.

You will need medical evidence; this can be obtained by visiting your GP and requesting written notes from a medical professional stating that there is a direct link between your injury and the damage to the property. This is the most important evidence needed in a personal injury claim, as it needs to be clear that the landlord’s neglect directly led to your injury. Additionally, photographic evidence of the disrepair and eyewitness accounts will further strengthen your claim.

How much notice should tenants give their landlord before filing a housing disrepair claim?

It is important to remember that you need to notify your landlord about any repairs that the property needs and allow them sufficient time to make the repairs before filing a housing disrepair claim. If you don’t notify your landlord about the cases of disrepair, then you can’t claim compensation.

You are required to wait 21 days after notifying your landlord via email, text message, letter or in person before filing a claim. We’d recommend sending the notice via email or text message for the most accurate evidence of the time and date the complaint was made. If your landlord refuses to do anything or doesn’t respond to your request, then you can contact our solicitors to fight for your compensation.

Call us on 0333 456 6611 or request a callback