Faulty Heating Housing Disrepair

If you have been living in a property for any length of time, you will be aware of the need for regular maintenance and repairs. Many landlords and letting agents are quick to fix any problems with the property, but some may not be so conscientious. If you live in a property in a state of disrepair, it may be worth claiming your landlord or agent.

There are many types of housing disrepair, but one of the most common is faulty heating. If your boiler is not working correctly or the radiators are not heating up, you may be entitled to make a claim. In some cases, the landlord or agent may try to fix the problem without waiting for permission from the tenant.

Suppose you make a housing disrepair claim against your landlord for boiler or heating system issues. In that case, you should be made aware of the rights you have as a tenant to a property providing safe, reliable heating for you and those you live with.

What steps can I take before making a claim?

Your claim may be for a variety of different boiler or heating system issues, such as:

  • The boiler not working at all
  • A broken boiler
  • Radiators not heating up properly
  • The property is too cold due to insufficient heating
  • Water leaks from the boiler or radiators.

What should you do if your landlord doesn’t fix the problem?

If your landlord does not fix the problem after you have made them aware of it, you can take legal action. This could involve issuing a formal letter of notice (an “improvement notice” under the Housing Act 2004) or starting eviction proceedings. The Citizens Advice Bureau website has more information on your rights

Call us on 0333 456 6611

Request a call back

Charter House, Woodlands Rd, Altrincham WA14 1HF, UK.
Contact: mjw@mjw-law.co.uk

CILEx Civil Litigation and Advocacy Practitioner

MJW Law Ltd is registered in England and Wales with Company Number 09947354.
Copyright 2021 by MJW Law | All Rights Reserved